Time to Rebuild

Time to Rebuild

If your home or business is located in a special flood hazard area (SFHA), you are subject to substantial damage or improvement requirements.  Any repair, reconstruction, alteration, or improvement to a building in which the cost equals or exceeds 50% of the market value of the building, the existing building is then required to meet the same standards as a new building. For residential structures, these requirements typically mean raising the living area of the building to the design flood elevations under current codes.

Survivor Story: Rebuilt a safer, stronger home after Hurricane Matthew.

Elevation Helps a Home Survive Hurricane Sandy.

Mitigation Success

Be Prepared for Substantial Damage

Know your risk:

  • What is the base flood elevation for your property?
  • What is the finished floor elevation of your building?
  • Would it need to be elevated or floodproofed if it was substantially damaged?
  • What is the market value of the building? Should you obtain an appraisal of the structure?


If you’re a tenant - Start a conversation with your landlord:

  • Does the landlord have flood insurance on the structure?
  • How quickly can the landlord start to rebuild?
  • Should your landlord obtain an appraisal on the structure? Does your landlord have one? If so, is it current?
  • Where will you go if you are not able to get back into the structure immediately?

If your structure is damaged and a determination is made of substantial damage, you will not be able to start repairs without the landlord’s involvement as to how the structure will be brought into compliance with current flood regulations.

Business Emergency Plan